"Print in 3D" @ the F.E McWilliams gallery in Banbridge.
A group show with Seacourt Print Workshop.
These are photos of my sculpture. All pieces are silkscreen on Fabriano paper, and 2 digital prints on Somerset enhanced. Then all assembled over 3 months with my own fair hands...phew!
These are a series of porcelain disks with black underglaze linework and a transparent over glaze.
I have been toying with these little characters or molds for a while. I love the way depending on how they are grouped or what direction they are facing, how big they are or how elaborate their horns are they tell their own little stories. I will post more about my mold stories later.
One of the last things that I finished was a series of experiments using underglazes, mason stains and good old fashioned aerosols. I want to create my own surfaces to graffiti so that I can transport them into different surroundings to see if the meaning/feeling of them changes. These are the first in a long line, oh yeah...
This little dude was one of the quickest but most rewarding sculpts/assemblages that I did in Red Dirt.
I found the broken skateboard outside the Rite Aid, near to our house, the wood I used for the body was lying by the side of the road near the studios, and when I held them together the idea for the fox figure just became obvious. He is porcelain, with all colours thanks to mr.aerosol and mr.acrylic.
I had a discussion in Red Dirt about why I thought I had to conform to using glazes just because it's a ceramic piece . It was pointed out that if it isn't functional why bother with the random nature of glazes... why not just paint it and varnish it. I'd never really thought about it like that before, I was getting tangled up in what I thought I SHOULD be doing in this new media.. corner turned!
.. a 'chachky' is a yiddish term for a trinket or an object that sits around and gathers dust.
During my safari there were several side projects that I worked on while I was waiting for clay to dry etc. They all started out as experiments that may or may not have worked....but they all did and I managed to finish them for the final open studio at Flux Studios. So as a round up, the next couple of posts are about these....
... This started out as an experiment to see if I could produce a porcelain cameo type bust of the Vernon character that I had been toying with. He turned out really well with hardly any sag (which was my main worry as the head was hollow and had to lie horizontally in the kiln), he was bisqued with an underglaze wash around the edges and black underglaze details & then high fired with another wash of a black glaze with frit. He sat looking at me for about a week until I decided to mount him on the old pallet boards with a heraldic shield design burnt into the wood around him. About 4 weeks later I assembled the tin number plates (which I'd collected when we were down in Asheville NC), ground them down and then graffed and painted a newer version of the initial sketch that started it all.
This is the second gallery of Mytarpitters in the 200 words project. I decided to keep these guys real bold and simple. They are black acrylic over the top of a glo-in-the-dark base layer. And I took the photos in my lovely back garden...ENJOY!
(And remember one of them could be yours for just 200 words!)